Plugin Cafe Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plugin Cafe > SDK Help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Handling newer c4d files

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote LxLasso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Handling newer c4d files
    Posted: 2018 Jan 29 at 5:12am

User Information:

Cinema 4D Version:    
Platform:      
Language(s):     C++  ;   

---------

Hi,

I am currently improving error reporting in our software when attempting to import file formats newer than currently supported.

At the moment we're linking Melange R18 and I have no problems opening an R19 file with just a cube inside. What would it take to create an R19 file that Melange R18 can't read? Is there any sample file readily available?

And - is there any way of getting retrieving more failure information beyond the nullptr I assume melange::LoadDocument() will return?

/ Lars @ Capture
Andreas Block View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Andreas Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2018 Jan 30 at 5:10am
Hi Lars,

Melange won't fail on reading files from newer Cinema 4D versions. Of course I won't promise this for all future, but that's how it is now. Instead it will ignore parts of the scene it knows nothing about.
You could add a version check, to warn the user about this possibility (similar to C4D warning about missing plugins in such a situation). Check out the commandline example inside of the Melange archive to get an idea, either with HyperFile::GetFileVersion() (preferred) or by evaluating document information as shown in AlienBaseDocument::Execute() of the example.

Cheers,
Andreas
SDK Support Engineer
 Post Reply Post Reply