Plugin Cafe Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plugin Cafe > SDK Help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

strange issue, plugin not loading

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: strange issue, plugin not loading
    Posted: 2018 May 30 at 5:23am

User Information:

Cinema 4D Version:    
Platform:   Windows  ;   
Language(s):     C++  ;   

---------

hello, i am facing a strange issue that my plugin isn't loading for one customer. no errors in the console. the very same plugin works for me in a fresh r19 demo installation. but when he puts the folder into his plugins, nothing happens.

any ideas what could cause such behaviour?
___
... now that i know how to use the debugger its much more fun
Filip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Filip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2018 May 30 at 1:08pm
Could be a lot of things of course, but have you ruled out a plugin ID collision? Did you remember to acquire a unique ID from plugincafé?

Perhaps you can ask the user to temporarily remove all other plugins and just run yours, to see if that works.

/Filip
knickknack View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote knickknack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2018 May 31 at 2:32am
Good morning ello, thanks for writing us.

Beside the consideration from Filip, let me provide with a short checklist to better understand the cause:
- are you providing Release binary aren't you? Consider that by default VS compiles the plugin in Debug mode and being debug libs not deployed on customers' environments the plugin simply doesn't load.
- are you dinamically linking your plugin to other libraries which could lack on your customer's environment? (in this case i warmly suggest to ready this article and check your plugin with dependency walker)

Looking forward further details, give best.
Riccardo
MAXON Computer GmbH
SDK Support Team
ello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2018 Jun 05 at 6:33am
Thank you both for the feedback and sorry for comming back so late, but the notification doesn't work for me.

Yes, I have a unique ID for the plugin and already asked the user to remove everything, which he tried with no success. he even set up a new demo installation which didn't work for him either. 

but, what could be the case is that i compile in debug mode. I'll check that. however, i never changed things so, it is strange that it worked before. And i checked it on another computer with the demo as well, so it shouldn't work there, too, right? but it did. very strange...

___
kbar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2018 Jun 05 at 4:46pm
You should definitely change to compile in Release mode. The reason it may have worked on your other machines could be that they also have the MS debug dlls installed. Perhaps all your test machines have visual studio installed? But your client will not have Visual Studio, so they won't have the debug dlls.

I would compile in Release mode and then see if that works for your client.
ello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2018 Jul 05 at 10:57pm
After changing to Release mode it works! thank you for pointing me to it. 

However, the old version was in debug mode as well and it worked on the same machine. I would like to understand why but after all I am glad it works now.
___
 Post Reply Post Reply